A goal of comprehensive dental care is to help patients keep their natural teeth as long as possible. Sometimes, though, extractions are in the best interests of your overall health. If you live in Clearwater Beach, Largo, Palm Harbor, or Tarpon Springs, professional assistance with this decision is available through an experienced dentist – Dr. Ryan Lepore in Dunedin, FL.
Why Dunedin, FL patients might need extractions
- Trauma – It may not be possible to save a severely-damaged tooth, or one broken off below the gumline. Leaving it in the mouth could result in pain and infection.
- Decay – Dental caries can develop in hidden areas or beneath a loose or cracked filling or crown. Decay may cause little discomfort as it progresses, not becoming obvious until structural damage is too significant to be repaired.
- Stubborn baby tooth – A primary tooth may resist falling out when it is time for a child’s secondary tooth to come in.
- Wisdom teeth – If you have plenty of room, third molars may drop into alignment. However, if they crowd existing teeth or become impacted, painful, or otherwise problematic, they can be extracted since they are not required for modern man’s diet.
- Dentures – If you have only a few natural teeth in an arch and prefer a full denture over a partial denture or bridgework, remaining teeth can be removed.
- Orthodontics – Extractions may be suggested for a person with very small arches and crowded teeth, in preparation for braces.
Low stress procedure
The idea of having a tooth removed can be unsettling. Dr. Lepore understands. He provides referral to a surgeon he trusts to take extra steps that ensure your wellbeing before, during, and following extractions.
If you are nervous about having an extraction, the surgeon may prescribe an oral sedative. This medication is taken just before your appointment to quell anxiety. It also allows your body to relax for an efficient extraction with reduced tissue trauma and strain. The surgeon uses special implements and a rocking technique to loosen a tooth from its natural mooring so it can be lifted from the socket. You mouth is numbed for the procedure. You may feel a sensation of pressure but should experience no pain.
Your extraction care does not stop there. Lepore Comprehensive Dentistry provides post-operative care and instruction for uneventful healing. Compassionate advice is just a call away if needed at (727) 608-4690.