Dental implants have become the “gold standard” for tooth replacement. Yet the natural-looking crown is only the part of the restoration you see. The implant, which resides in the jawbone, is crucial to a successful procedure. Individuals from Clearwater Beach, Tarpon Springs, Palm Harbor, Largo, Dunedin, Florida, and beyond trust the guidance of Drs. Ryan Lepore and Erin Dougherty at Lepore Comprehensive Dentistry in locating a trusted surgeon for surgical implant placement.
Basics of dental implant surgery
A dental implant is a small screw-shaped device that serves as a replacement root for a missing tooth. Surgical placement involves a small soft tissue incision so the doctor can create space in the jawbone for the implant. The incision heals in a few days, and the bone fuses with the implant over the next several months. This forms a solid base for a crown or other restoration.
INTEGRATED CARE FOR SURGICAL IMPLANT PLACEMENT
- Drs. Lepore and Dougherty have a special interest in implantology. As membership holders of various associations and academies, they are well-qualified to guide your treatment
- If a dental implant is the best choice for your situation, Drs. Lepore and Dougherty will provide a referral to a surgeon with leading-edge diagnostic instruments. These digital technologies give the doctor a clear view of the internal anatomy of your mouth and head for precision implant planning. This degree of preparation contributes to an efficient procedure (so you spend less time in the chair) and minimizes the risk of complications
- The surgeon knows if bone augmentation is needed to stabilize the implant and avoid communication with sinuses. If so, bone grafting can be merged seamlessly into the treatment plan
- Your emotional well-being is an important element of complete health dentistry. Drs. Lepore and Dougherty work with the surgeon to be sure any anxiety you may have about the procedure is addressed, possibly with oral conscious sedation
- After implant placement, your restoration can be completed at Lepore Comprehensive Dentistry with a porcelain crown, implant bridge, or implant-retained denture
Replacing a tooth can be accomplished with a dental implant. A dental implant restores the mouth to optimal function, stabilizing the surrounding bone, tissue, and teeth by substituting the root structure of the missing tooth. This helps to prevent further serious complications that can arise if the missing tooth is left untreated. It usually requires multiple appointments to complete a dental implant placement.
First, the site is prepared for placing the dental implant. Second, the implant body is placed into the bone along with a special healing cap. The site is then allowed to heal, providing a stable footing for the replacement tooth. At subsequent visits, your doctor will monitor the healing process, letting you know when the tooth is ready for the final restoration. When a site is fully healed, the healing cap is removed and replaced with the abutment, which serves as the base of your new tooth. Finally, the crown is placed over the abutment and cemented into place.
With your implant placement complete, your tooth is restored to optimal shape and function while continuing to stabilize, protect, and preserve the surrounding tissue.
With the guidance of Drs. Ryan Lepore and Erin Dougherty in surgical placement, and your conscientious daily oral hygiene, your implant could last a lifetime. Call (727) 608-4690 to schedule a consultation in Dunedin, FL.