Missing teeth disrupt chewing, speaking, and respiration, and spoil the appearance of your smile. Dr. Ryan Lepore suggests implant bridges to replace missing teeth. Patients from across the Palm Harbor, Clearwater Beach, Tarpon Springs, and Largo area come to Lepore Comprehensive Dentistry in Dunedin, FL for this smile-saving service.
What is an implant bridge?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root. It resides in jawbone, providing a stable foundation for a dental restoration. In many cases, a single missing tooth is replaced with a dental implant topped with a porcelain crown. However, when multiple teeth are missing, an implant bridge may be a better choice.
Implant bridges: A versatile concept in Dunedin, FL
A traditional bridge consists of an artificial tooth (or several) anchored by crowns cemented to natural teeth on each side of the gap. When three or more teeth in a span are missing, they can be replaced with an implant bridge, without impact to healthy, adjacent teeth. Just two implants could serve as anchors for the bridge.
Are you a bruxer, clenching or grinding teeth during sleep? Dr. Lepore may recommend an implant for each missing tooth, with a one-piece bridge unit restoring the crowns. This technique spreads force over a larger area, reducing pressure on any one implant (which could lead to implant failure).
Have you lost all teeth in an arch, or need to have them extracted? Dr. Lepore strategically places several implants to hold a full denture with amazing stability. An implant-retained denture can be affixed or removable.
The implant bridge process
- Implant placement is precisely planned, and computer guided, so the surgical procedure is brief.
- Typically, only local anesthetic or perhaps a light sedative is needed to keep you comfortable.
- If teeth have been missing for a while, the process may include bone grafting.
- Temporary teeth may be provided for aesthetics.
- Soft tissue incisions generally heal within a few days.
- Integration of implants with bone takes place over several months.
- Then, Dr. Lepore takes impressions of your mouth to design your bridge.
- He works with a professional dental ceramist on fabrication.
- When implants are stable, the bridge is securely attached.
- You receive hands-on flossing instructions to keep oral tissues around the bridge clean and healthy.
There is no need to live with a gap in your smile. Call (727) 608-4690 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Lepore in Dunedin, FL.